Total Pageviews

Wednesday 10 October 2012

ART MOVEMENT: REALISM

   Realism is a mid 1800's art movement that really speaks to me as a creative person. The idea that something should be shown in a realistic manner or "as close to realtiy as possible" is an idea that translates throughout my own work. Its an art movement that irigionated in France that intended to irradicate the idealization of subjects thorugh art. Gustav Corbet was a famous realism artist who's most famous peice was "The Oak of Flagey" painted in 1819. This to me, is astounding peice or art - almost indistinguishable from the real thing, which shows you how effective realism really is. It's something that can be appreciated at face value, which personally I believe art should be - the way it looks rather than what it means.


 
 All in all, realism is an art movment that adopts ideologys I practice through my own work, and through realstic use of colour, lighting, proportion and perspective I believe true "Art" can be achieved, however art is subjective, just like music or film . I do understand that art is a personal expression of something that exists and may exist, thus realism isnt always an approriate art form as it is a very literally take on a subject and thus, I can understand why some people may choose to follow a more expressionist art such as as cubism.

NEXT POST: ART MOVEMENT: ART NOUVEAU

No comments:

Post a Comment