Total Pageviews

Wednesday 10 October 2012

ART MOVEMENT: CUBISM

      Cubism is and was one of the most incredibly influential art forms, especially in the early 20th century. It was founded by Pablo Picasso – the pioneer of Cubism. More often than not, you will find his name is mentioned when cubism is in question and rightfully so, he created it, he made its benchmark pieces. Cubism defied the norm; it rejected the idea that art should copy nature with traditional and realistic techniques such as perspective and flipped it on its head for affect. Personally I dislike the movement, as I have a personal preference for realism; I simply believe the movement is different simply because it can be. Below is a prime example as to why I dislike Cubism. The “Weeping Woman” by Picasso was painted in 1937 in response to the bombing of a Basque town of Guernica and although I appreciate it, I do not understand it. Why skew an idea to present a realistic one? To me nothing is more effective than reality.
 
 
   However I can see why others would follow such a movement, although abstract in its presentation. Cubism is also a form of symbolism, presenting an idea and an emotion directly rather than subtly. It's an art form that can only be appreciate when put into context; considering the Weeping Woman, you can see how the sad story of a mother holding her dead child is effective when you take a second look at the above piece.

NEXT POST: ART MOVEMENT: REALISM

No comments:

Post a Comment